crippled by technology

Lost my phone this weekend.  I've long refused to carry a purse of any kind when I go out, and so relied on the pockets of my jacket to contain my cell phone, some cash, one credit card, my ID, lip gloss, eyeliner, gum and a pen.  By the end of the night everything was gone except for the two cards, and only because I had evacuated them to the relative safety of a friend's purse.  Imagine I must have been trailing my possessions behind me all evening like a piggy bank leaking coins out of its anal region.

What to do about a replacement though?  Wish merely for a Zach Morris style phone in order to make calls reliably and clearly.  And maybe to tell Kelly Kapowski that her spandex shorts are way too long. In an ideal world, I wouldn't even have SMS capability, so that anyone who texts me would get a standardized reply of the sort you receive when you send a text to a land line:
"You have attempted to reach the equivalent of a coconut phone.  pick up your end and dial, you lazy fuck."

On the other hand, it might be nice to have a phone with some sort of functionality beyond dialing.  It seems like everyone else I know owns the iPhone, or maybe the Google Droid phone for Verizon, but those just feel so intimidating with their functionality overkill.  I don't want a phone that can launch intercontinental ballistic missiles or do my taxes or locate the nearest bloodbank that is currently stocked with B+, I just want to hear some damn Madonna tunes as I'm walking to my car.  Is it wrong to eschew an iPhone and wish there were a uPhone instead?  A phone that someone else has already loaded with apps and music that I'll just happen to like, and that I can learn how to use instantly upon seeing it like the way Neo learned all those implausible fighting moves in The Matrix.  I mean, can't u do it for me?

1 comment:

  1. If they had a phone that was just a phone and could play a little music, AC Slater would not have had to carry around the boombox on his shoulder (ala Fresh Prince before he left West Philadelphia and jumped in a cab with a license plate that said fresh and had dice in the mirror). Of course then, we would have been deprived of his biceps, saved by the bell would have been cancelled, jesse spano would never have ended up baring it all in showgirls, lisa turtle making her spot cameo on law and order SVU, and Mario Lopez would not have survived to dance with real stars or to have a front row seat to watch miss south carolina make her epic monologue fail. Speaking of which, any chance they can switch the open ended question portion of miss america to one of the off air segments and instead broadcast the after party where all the losers gorge themselves on full calorie beer and make really bad decisions with each other? Sorry, probably should have started my own blog before this rant. Loving the thoughts Gourmand, keep em coming!!!

    ReplyDelete