Sweaty Beards

English idiomatic question: what is an antonym for oxymoron?

What I mean is, rather than a subject and modifier that contradict each other (e.g., "compassionate Conservative"), instead a turn of phrase where the subject's obvious traits render the modifier redundant and unnecessary (e.g., "greedy banker," "ankle-biting midget" or "virginal sci-fi fan").

Not-ymoron? I don't think such a word exists – although maybe "redundancy."

Anyway, my "attractive Swedish" friends (see where I was going with the not-ymoron query?) Isabella and Christian have recently informed me that their hotly-anticipated collaborative film Sweaty Beards may soon be opening in the US! 

Sweaty Beards is a movie about Vikings, by real Scandinavians, in English.  Moreover, it features an island death match.  Just when I thought one film could not have it all.  Check out the movie website: http://www.sweatybeards.com/

I'm incredibly excited at the prospect of this flick.  First of all, Vikings are obviously awesome.   In 2007 I spent 40 hours in Stockholm – about 38 of which were daylight, mind – and was disappointed to find that there were no actual Vikings roaming the streets, attempting to lure me aboard their ship to pillage my passport and what few krona I had not spent on aquavit.

Second, I despise subtitles because they're so distracting and oftentimes less than accurate – try watching Mr. and Mrs. Smith in Buenos Aires, where the whole theater starts laughing when Angelina taunts Brad with "Chickenshit!" and the subtitles helpfully flash "!COBARDE!"

So I know I have a notoriously short attention span and difficulty sitting through movies without ejecting to go wander around the lobby, or making up plots in my own head, or asking lots of questions and irritating fellow spectators.  I may or may not also have been roundly booed at the conclusion of Avatar when I shouted "finally!" and broke my 3-D glasses in frustration. 

But this looks like the first film ever that I might be able to endure in its entirety.  Let's all go to the movies [x3]. . . and get ourselves a treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment